Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Stress and Discovering Self, again.

Come May and the end of summer season sales starts across showrooms (or online stores as the current trend is) in India. I work with the Indian arm of one of the biggest retailers in the world and I knew this month would be all about a little extra work but...

"3 day sale - 6,7,8 May 2015" announced a large hoarding. The next minute there were couple of beeps on my phone. It was the official email folder that popped out. A long email spooked out horror - post/pre-shift and a 6th day overtime for the entire May 2015 for the Indian skills.

*Beep beep* - another message followed. 
Shuttle services to begin from May 6 2015 (we have been getting picked up and dropped home in cabs until then - sheer convenience). Shuttle service was horror part II, we would now have a bus/taxi pickup point around 0.5-2.5 kms away from employees' homes. The change wasn't accepted readily but we had little choice.

May 6th was our version of Friday, the 13th.

Three days down the line, I started feeling the pinch of work overload. While it was a good thought of getting paid a handsome amount in June end payout, it had started taking a toll on my head.

Post 1 week, I was considering seeing a psychologist as my stress levels had gone up. Not taking calls, falling prey to quick irritation and prone to anger were my traits; until one night, I sat alone in a lounge and started talking to myself (no, I've not turned into a lunatic).

I tried to explain myself that I've been acting like a hypocrite lately. I advise people to take control of their minds-thoughts, to take a deep breath, calm down and say a 'fuck this shit' and finally, to live a fun loving life. But I was doing exactly opposite to what I have been preaching to people all this while. Was it the strong beer that did the trick? Was it the music around me? No. It was ME. I was coming back to myself, as it was a few days ago before the work pressure began.

I learned that I can earn all I want to, but I would ultimately lose my peace of mind I've always done best to live with. I would miss the Life I want to live at this very moment.
Of course, I want to earn and I would still head towards my pursuits and dreams but I'd ensure my sanity and the sanity of the people around me.
That's what would bring me closer to my targets, closer to my Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment