Sunday, February 9, 2014

Friendship, amidst tears.

I don't remember the date and I'm unable to think of the year (while writing this) but then, memories are made by experiences and not merely by dates.
It was a new school and a new class I was going to - KG (Kindergarten) to be precise. My school, Don Bosco is among the best schools today, in the city of Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal. It was not a very happy moment given the fact that the memories of St.Helen's, my previous school were still fresh. Never mind, I'll relate that some other day (another beautiful memory, that).

It was the first day of school and wherever I looked around, I found kids of my age and height, crying. I found it amusing and I smiled (not smirked) out of friendliness, looking at a few of them; instantly made a few enemies. The very beautiful Starry Ma'am, my class teacher, asked me to sit next to a short guy who, like others was crying.

"Hi, kya naam hai tumhara? Ro kyu rahe ho?" I asked genuinely. [Hi, what's your name? Why are you crying?]

"Mereko mummy ke paas jaana hai," he replied, sobbing. [I want to see my mother.]

"Don't worry," I replied calmly "teri mummy bahar hi khadi hai. School khatam hotey hi terese milegi". [Don't worry, your mother is waiting for you outside. She'll meet you right after school].

"Mera naam Mayank hai, aur tera?" he asked, still sobbing. [My name is Mayank. What's yours?]

"Main..." and I told him my name.

There began our friendship. As far as time goes, I remember him as my first school friend. While many friends have drifted apart, we're still in touch and even if we see each other once in 2-4 years, we're well connected with the phenomenon called "Facebook".

I'm happy I still remember this moment. We found friendship amidst others' tears.

1 comment:

  1. good one brother.....i still remember that day....and thank u for being such a good friend :)

    ReplyDelete